Re: Request unblock for snort 2.8.5.2-5 (in 7 days)

On 1 January 2011 19:53, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> wrote:
(...)
> This screams of policy violation.  Are user modifications to a
> configuration file actually overwritten?

Errr... yes. You are right that this should not happen.

Actually, in the previous releases this already happened when the
changes were done in a section of the other configuration file
(/etc/snort/snort.conf). So the package in squeeze already does this
already, but to another configuration file and it is not so evident.

The situation is improved somewhat in that now the contents are
automatically written to a configuration file
(/etc/snort/database.conf) and not a conffile provided by the package
(previously, /etc/snort/snort.conf) so that user's will not get a
"conffile" changed prompt in upgrades.

In addition, upon reviewing the code, this also applies to
pre-existing changes done through debconf to
/etc/snort/snort.debian.conf although the comment in the file is not
so self-evident.

I will try to work on this in order to properly preserve local admin
changes. It might take me some time, however, to get that fixed. In
the meantime I will file a serious bug for the previous version too.

Regards

Javier