Re: Unblock webkitkde (kpart-webkit / libkwebkit1) or other action?

On 2010-09-13, Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:23:58 +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
>> Heyho!
>>
>> (Ping - sent last Thursday, no answer so far.)
>>
>> Sune NMUd webkitkde (which I maintain) and got a freeze exception.  Not
>> being aware of this I uploaded a new upstream snapshot (fixing at least one
>> quite annoying bug), incorporating his NMU change and correcting
>> README.Debian to match the change Sune did in his NMU.
>>
>> libkwebkit1 ABI didn't change as far as I can see; kget is currently the
>> only package depending on this (except kpart-webkit itself, of course.)
>>
>> I'd be happy about input from the release team about how to proceed:
>>  -> I re-upload Sune's NMU version to t-p-u
>>  -> let the new version go into squeeze
>>  -> remove webkitkde from squeeze (requires a kdenetwork upload without
>> dependency on libkwebkit, so less than ideal unless such an upload is
>> planned anyway.)
>>
>> (Looking at popcon and at the low number of bug reports despite there being
>> a few annoying bugs, removing webkitkde from squeeze wouldn't be the end of
>> the world - having it in squeeze would still be nice, though.)
>
> Is another webkit code copy really necessary?  Who has volunteered to
> support backports of security fixes to this?

It is a kpart (kde platform component) built on top of libkdewebkit,
which just wraps qtwebkit.

So, it is not another webkit code copy. just something that uses the
library.

That said, I don't have any particular opinion on webkitkde, except for
the fact that the current version in squeeze should not be released as
it is. (hence my NMU and such)

/Sune