transitional package question

Dear release team,

I'm new to Debian package maintainership so please forgive me if this question
is dumb: A package I maintain (amavisd-milter) is recommend by amavisd-new
upstream as a replacement for their amavisd-new-milter program which got
removed. Talking with Debian amavisd-new maintainer we came to the conclusion
that we should provide a upgrade path for amavisd-new-milter, but the problem
is that the Debian amavisd-new maintainer already removed amavisd-new-milter
from his package and told me I would have to care for providing a transitional
package. As squeeze is already freezed I wanted to ask if this is still
possible?

Kind regards
Harald Jenny