Re: live-* packages

On 09/07/2010 11:54 PM, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>> i haven't seen any unblocks granted yet for any one of
>> live-{boot,build,config,manual}, which is why the bugs are still
>> open, no?
>>

> I have this in my hint file:
>
> # 2010-08-22; done 2010-09-01
> unblock live-config/2.0.2-1
> unblock live-boot/2.0.0-1

those were unblocked by you without my request, remember you requested
me to upload with relaxed runit-run depends. they have nothing to do
with the unblock bugs that i opened and refered to above.

> Well, it was the case during lenny's freeze because (if I'm not
> mistaken) the packages were still brand new at that time, which doesn't
> apply anymore.

this is not what luk said to me last release cycle.

> Besides, I don't see changes having something related to
> the archive's state. If there are any, please comment on them.

people (including me) can't really do wide tests of images that can't be
build in the first place if not all tasks are installable. that's why
some bugs only turn up quite late in the release cycle.

>> at least one more upload to fix #591330.
>>

> which is of severity "normal" but well, I can see arguments for having
> it in…

if you judge bugs only by it's reported severity, i can upgrade it to
serious :)

seriously: having snapshots working is very, very important.

>>> live-build
>>
>> some more uploads, to fix remaining bugs in the bts, plus changes to
>> use syslinux-themes-debian, and more if more bugs get discovered
>> (which is quite likely, given that squeeze still changes and l-b
>> needs adjustments for that).
>>

> Why asking for an unblock if there are still changes to be
> uploaded/worked on?

because i was told that the release team preferes to 'review' revisions
instead of one huge diff.

i don't know how the 'new' release team works. if you prefere it another
way (e.g. reviewing one huge diff), i can stop asking for intermediate
unblocks and only ask for unblocking the last upload right before the
release.

> and can you explain what external changes influence
> on l-b?

i don't understand. what do you mean with 'external'?

>>> live-manual
>>
>> on top of 2.0~a5-1, one or two uploads to update the content from
>> etch/lenny to squeeze. possibly more if people contribute more
>> documentation.
>>

> Ok. I hope that no packaging changes will be involved.

as said, not planned on top of 2.0~a5-1.

>> syslinux-themes-debian
>>
>> needs one more upload for new squeeze entries.
>>

> and by entries, you mean?

the entries in the syslinux bootmenu, that's the thing where you select
what to start when booting from the live media.

>> syslinux
>>
>> needs one more upload for os-proper and extlinux.d support.
>>

> That's a new feature, right? How is it critical for Squeeze?

d-i related, that was discussed with adam at debconf already. you may
want to ask otavio about it.