Re: OpenJDK / default JDK for squeeze / issues on mips / open security issues for lenny

* Matthias Klose:

> Or does everybody see openjdk as an alibi for Debian to build things
> and then use the sun-java packages from non-free?

I know folks who use it in production, admittedly with compiler
excludes to work around some C2 bugs.

> For those who are interested in an openjdk-6 update for stable, I did
> prepare an update for some architectures at
>
>   deb http://people.debian.org/~doko/archive stable/

Cool, it's based on OpenJDK 6b18.  However, we can't upload it as-is
because the version number is greater than the one in testing.

What can we do about the lack of mips support?

> I don't plan any updates for unstable/testing beyond 6b18.  6b20 is
> available in experimental, but disables the ARM assembler interpreter
> (which is 3-5x times faster than the plain zero build), and 6b20
> doesn't build anymore on sparc.

If upstream has ceased support for those architectures, should we
really release squeeze with them?  I'm pretty sure we we'll have to
upgrade to later versions at one point.