tracker 0.8 transition

Hi release team,

tracker 0.8.0 was released two weeks ago. It's a major new release with a lot of
features I'd like to see in squeeze. Another point is, that upstream considers
the old stable branch 0.6 (current version in sid is 0.6.96) dead.
Since the initial 0.8.0 release there was a new bug fix release 0.8.1 which I
uploaded to experimental. It's not yet built on all archs yet, but so far it
looks quite good [1].

The list of rdepends (that I know) are:

nautilus (2.28 links against libtrackerclient, 2.30 uses dlopen)
gtk+2.0 (uses dlopen)
totem-plugins (links agains libtrackerclient)
rygel-tracker (uses the D-Bus interface)
catfish (search frontend, uses the command line interface of tracker-search)

Both, the D-Bus interface and the library ABI/API, have changed.

I started tracking the progress at [2],
I've prepared and tested patches for gtk, nautilus 2.28 and totem-plugins 2.30.

The rygel-tracker (co-)maintainer, Andreas Henriksson, told me, that upstream
Git contains support for tracker 0.8 and he was either consider packaging a Git
snapshot or dropping the rygel-tracker plugin, to not block the tracker-0.8
transition.

I haven't heard back from the catfish maintainer yet, but as catfish is a search
frontend for multiple search engines, where tracker is only one of them, I
wouldn't consider it a blocker. Yet, as the tracker-search output only changed
slightly it should be simple to provide a patch.

So, I'd like the release teams and the GNOME maintainers input, when to best
schedule this transition.

For gtk+2.0 I would consider an upload as soon as 2.20.0-2 has transitioned to
testing. With the patch from [3], it will support both 0.6 and 0.8 by loading
the correct one at runtime.

For nautilus, there is a patch for 2.28 [4], which will link against the new
libtracker-client-0.8 library. An alternative would be, to directly upload
nautilus 2.30, which similar to gtk, dlopens the correct version of the tracker
library and so would decouple it from tracker's testing migration.

For totem, slomo will be preparing 2.30 packages in experimental, linking
against libtracker-client-0.8.

The tracker evolution plugin builds against evolution/evolution-data-server-dev,
so this needs to be kept in mind when planning the transition.

I'd like input from the release team and the GNOME maintainers, when to best
schedule this transition and how to move forward from here.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=tracker&suite=experimental
[2] http://wiki.debian.org//Tracker08