libparted0 upgrade problems (was: Re: Launchpad Team Upgrade Project)

[CC -= canonical-launchpad and ubuntu-platform, += debian-release]

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 01:01:03PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:22:55AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > Salgado:
>
> >     After realizing that's because libparted0 can't be installed and searching
> >     for a bug, I found 537330 which is marked as invalid. Then I tried
> >     'aptitude full-upgrade', which tells me libparted1.8-12 is broken and
> >     should be removed. Maybe I should use only aptitude and not apt-get?
>
> Known issue caused by reusing an ancient package name (libparted0).  Tried
> to fix this by adding Conflicts/Replaces the other way, but that didn't
> take.  Colin, I'm still in favor of making this a 'libparted0debian1' to
> side-step this issue (the same change is probably appropriate in Debian -
> and we could keep a libparted0 Depends: libparted0debian1 dummy package in
> testing/unstable temporarily to smooth the transition)

You may be right (unfortunately), although I think libparted0d would be
good enough and would save my poor typing fingers a bit.  (There's
precedent for that in libavcodec et al.)

debian-release, what do you think about this plan, before we finish off
the parted transition?  I know I tried to resolve this by letting parted
1.8.8.git.2009.07.19-6 into testing first, but if this problem really
can't be fixed using Conflicts/Replaces in the other direction, then
it's going to cause upgrade problems from lenny to squeeze, and we ought
to fix it sooner rather than later.