Re: JPEG 8 transition

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 09:44:57PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Sune Vuorela (nospam@vuorela.dk) [100214 21:32]:
> I fear I need to agree with you. We should have libjpeg62 with
> symbols, recompile every package build-depending on libjpeg*-dev after
> that till the release, and then move to libjpeg8 (or whatever it is)
> at the begining of the squeeze+1-cycle (and we can be sure nothing
> breaks because of the symbols).

Ok so I have experimented with a libjpeg62 source with versionned symbols,
It works fine but for an annoying problem:

If you compile-time link a binary with libjpeg62 w/ versionned symbols, and try
to run-time link it with libjpeg62 w/o versionned symbols, then the dynamic
linker output a warning:

cjpeg: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62: no version information available (required by cjpeg)

Normally this should not be an issue for Debian, but this will cause problems
for people wanting to build LSB package on Debian: when run on as non Debian
LSB-compliant platform, the binaries will generate linker warning, which can
cause problems. Maybe we will have to provide an extra package with the
non-versionned libjpeg62.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.