Re: hppa in danger of being ignored for testing migration and eventual removal

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 05:09:25PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:
> > * What is the status of the different porting efforts?
>
> Is there a list of different porting efforts?
>
> > * Has progress been made regarding the thread library migration?
>
> The thread library migration code is complete, and passes the
> testsuite without regression, including a bespoke testsuite I wrote to
> verify the compatibility code works.
>
> I've sent the first round of patches to Aurelien Jarno (debian-glibc)
> for integration, but after discussion it was determined that we would
> transition to NPTL when glibc releases 2.10 (in about a week).

cool - do you have a pointer to the transition plan?

> > * Has progress been made regarding proper java support?
>
> What is considered proper java support? GCJ?
>
> Dave, have you tinkered with GCJ lately?
>
> > * The machines that host the buildds still seem to have a very
> > unreliable kernel. Is there any update on this?
>
> I can't comment on this.

Thibaut had planned to setup a second buildd (and I think had it up
for a while?) but that box experienced a hardware failure. We're also
working on moving one of the buildds to a different platform
(rp2470). We have no specific reason to believe that will be any
better, but its worth a shot.

> I run stock: linux-image-2.6.26-1-parisc64-smp (2.6.26-13)
> on my SMP 2x PA8700 system without any problems.

There are several reports of stability on various mixtures of
kernel/platform - and the non-buildd debian.org hppa machine seems to
be quite stable as well. But, once we start running a buildd on
something, instability issues abound.

--
dann frazier