Re: hppa in danger of being ignored for testing migration and eventual removal

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM, dann frazier <dannf@dannf.org> wrote:
>> > * Has progress been made regarding the thread library migration?
>>
>> The thread library migration code is complete, and passes the
>> testsuite without regression, including a bespoke testsuite I wrote to
>> verify the compatibility code works.
>>
>> I've sent the first round of patches to Aurelien Jarno (debian-glibc)
>> for integration, but after discussion it was determined that we would
>> transition to NPTL when glibc releases 2.10 (in about a week).
>
> cool - do you have a pointer to the transition plan?

The transition plan has only been discussed verbally between Aurelian
and myself. In one week the 2.10 release comes out, and I plan to hand
Aurelian a new set of patches for debian to include. At this point
NPTL is officially turned on, the compat code is in place, and nobody
should notice any difference, except that you are now using the new
threading infrastructure in the kernel. Kinks may need to be ironed
out.

Does this, more or less answer your question?

>> I run stock: linux-image-2.6.26-1-parisc64-smp (2.6.26-13)
>> on my SMP 2x PA8700 system without any problems.
>
> There are several reports of stability on various mixtures of
> kernel/platform - and the non-buildd debian.org hppa machine seems to
> be quite stable as well. But, once we start running a buildd on
> something, instability issues abound.

If kernel instability is the next big ticket issue, then I'll help
with that after the NPTL transition is complete. Please ping me in two
weeks.

Cheers,
Carlos.