Re: hppa in danger of being ignored for testing migration and eventual removal

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 03:34:36PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> > > * The machines that host the buildds still seem to have a very
> > > unreliable kernel. Is there any update on this?
> >
> > I can't comment on this.
>
> Thibaut had planned to setup a second buildd (and I think had it up
> for a while?) but that box experienced a hardware failure. We're also
> working on moving one of the buildds to a different platform
> (rp2470). We have no specific reason to believe that will be any
> better, but its worth a shot.

I have more a500's in cupertino test ring that could be co-opted into
being used for buildd's. Just need a DD willing to manage the machine.
HP is physically hosting the rack - so I can't guarantee physical security
if that's a requirement.

> > I run stock: linux-image-2.6.26-1-parisc64-smp (2.6.26-13)
> > on my SMP 2x PA8700 system without any problems.
>
> There are several reports of stability on various mixtures of
> kernel/platform - and the non-buildd debian.org hppa machine seems to
> be quite stable as well. But, once we start running a buildd on
> something, instability issues abound.

Dave Anglin (hppa-gcc maintainer) seems to have the best luck with a
"custom" 2.6.22.19 kernel that's been on gsyprf11 for over a year now:
Linux gsyprf11 2.6.22.19 #1 SMP Sat Apr 5 18:55:33 PDT 2008 parisc64 GNU/Linux

I believe most of the stability issues have been resolved with newer
kernel.org kernels (Helge/Kyle would know better). But I don't think
we tried those against the gcc builds that are routinely running on
gsyprf11.external.hp.com.

hth,
grant