Re: binNMU for libthai/libdatrie transition

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:

> m17n-lib has also seen a recent sourceful upload, so no Bin-NMUs are
> necessary:
>
>    http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/m17n-lib/news/20090415T103206Z.html

Please still consider scheduling the binNMU, anyway, as it's still directly
linked against libdatrie1, which I'd like to get rid of. The sourceful m17n-lib
upload was done before the recent change to libthai.la, which totally got
rid of -ldatrie.

> Also, please notify the release team about transitions as soon as
> possible, and preferably before uploading to unstable. Having libdatrie0
> disappear from unstable while pango1.0 still linked against it has
> rendered a big part of the archive unbuildable while we wait for
> pango1.0 to get rebuild, and that’s rather unfortunate because it slows
> down our job enormously.

It's my misunderstanding that the previous preparation by changing
libthai.pc in unstable was enough for pango to be free from libdatrie0,
as it was the case for other packages like scim-thai and gtk-im-libthai
before. But that turned out to be wrong.

Unfortunately, I forgot the fact that libthai-dev still ships libthai.la,
not really for linking purpose, but to only satisfy Thai KDE users'
needs, as kdelibs 3 requires *.la to dlopen()!

So, I've recently updated libthai.la to get rid of the problem.
I was about to request for binNMU but the binNMU for pango
was quick enough. So, I just waited for buildd to finish the
builds on some archs before requesting m17n-lib.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Things didn't go as planned.
I'll contact release team sooner next time for similar case.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/