Re: Please allow base-files in lenny, and a question

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008, Philipp Kern wrote:

> I don't think so.  Changing /etc/issue{,.net} with every point release will
> be a major annoyance for every person who customizes those files.  I think
> that if we want a programmatical way to access this information, this should
> be solved by a separate package with a file not in /etc, probably with
> LSB compliance in mind.

Hmm, I thought the idea was to make the Debian revision level
(r4 etc.) to be clearly visible after an upgrade, so that it's clear
from the login screen that the machine has been already upgraded or not.

Adeodato Simó wrote:
> Oh, and we talked about this being a new package; would you be willing
> to introduce a dependency on it for Lenny?

If the consensus is that it's better that way, yes, of course.

OTOH, if we don't have a clear idea of what (and more important, how)
exactly we want to do that, we could postpone that for squeeze. Not that
we had already promised our users that /etc/issue would change at
every point relerase in lenny.