Re: Please allow base-files in lenny, and a question

* Philipp Kern [Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:01:56 +0100]:

> Hi Santiago,

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 08:28:39PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > The question: I've heard somewhere that the stable release team had
> > the intention of having /etc/issue showing not only the version number
> > but also the exact point release which is installed, during lenny
> > future lifetime as stable.

> > I assume this will be implemented by uploading .lenny.x-suffixed
> > versions of base-files to stable-proposed-updates several days before
> > each point release happens. Only /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net would
> > be changed in these base-files stable updates.

> > Therefore it seems the logical thing to do is for lenny release 0
> > to have an /etc/issue (and issue.net) which reads "5.0r0"

> > Please confirm that this is correct.

> I don't think so.  Changing /etc/issue{,.net} with every point release will
> be a major annoyance for every person who customizes those files.  I think
> that if we want a programmatical way to access this information, this should
> be solved by a separate package with a file not in /etc, probably with
> LSB compliance in mind.

Yep, there was talk of that and I was supposed to do it, but I didn't
follow up, and I guess that was the reason some other release team
members pushed for it to happen on base-files via /etc/issue. Sorry
about that, Santiago, I'll look into it now.

Oh, and we talked about this being a new package; would you be willing
to introduce a dependency on it for Lenny?

Thanks,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

The true teacher defends his pupils against his own personal influence.
                -- Amos Bronson Alcott