Re: daemons that keep open file descriptors for the terminal

* Nicolas Boullis [Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:46:28 +0200]:

> Hi,

> I have found a few daemons that, when started, keep open file
> descriptors on the terminal.
> I think this is very annoying because when one starts or restarts such a
> daemon through a ssh connexion, then it would not close cleanly.
> As far as I understand what a daemon is, they are supposed to close such
> file descriptors. But afetr a (very) quick look at the policy, I could
> not find such a requirement.
> I'd be tempted to file such bug as serious ones, but since I can't find
> a reference in policy or in the release goal, it might as well be minor.

> So my question is: should this be considered release-critical?

No, I don't think they should be RC, though filing all those bugs and
tagging them with an appropriate usertag would be useful for anybody who
would like to work on that.

Thanks,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

A lie can go round the world before the truth has got its boots on.
                -- Terry Pratchett