Re: fix for 445595 - smpeg NMU

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:14:36AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2008 05:54, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:49:49PM +0000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=445595
> >
> > The patch is broken. Next time, please guess that if there is a guard like:
> >
> >   #if defined(i386) && defined(USE_MMX)
> >
> > It's because the file is built on all architectures.

> Are i386 and AMD64 the only architectures that support non-executable stacks?

no, but they are the only architectures that use MMX. Therefor this
patch is _useless_ for other archs.

> How does the patch break things? I don't think that adding a few bytes to a
> shared object counts as breakage,

You are aware howto read debian buildd logs?

http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/package.php?suite=unstable&p=smpeg

The reason it fails on arm* is that you chose to copypaste
the old, broken version of the non-exec snippet. Here's the correct
one for you:

.section .note.GNU-stack,"",%progbits

> in the case of security relevant bugs I
> think it's best to err on the side of caution.

In the case of NMU, you are supposed to follow up the package
that it builds everywhere and doesn't introduce regressions.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups