Re: Please unblock avahi 0.6.23-2

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 03:52:00AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Steve Langasek]
> > So it's not at all true that it's "not an option" in Debian - it
> > just happens to not be the option you prefer.  I, OTOH, think it's
> > the better option;

> Just for the record, I would prefer Debian to drop file-rc, and avoid
> the complexity of having two different systems manipulated by the
> update-rc.d API.  It would make a lot of things easier, both with
> documentation and configuration.  But until it is dropped, I believe
> it would be a mistake to pretend file-rc does not exist and do things
> in packages that only work with one of them.

The problem is that the alternative solution that's been implemented works
correctly with *none* of them.

> > And insserv doesn't even enter the argument here, because insserv is
> > dependency-based and shouldn't need any configuration changes
> > anyway...

> Actually, disabling services when using insserv have the same problem.
> All changes need to go through the update-rc.d API, and there is no
> way to enable or disable single runlevels.  The sequence number can be
> ignored in the insserv case, but not the state of the service in each
> runlevel.

Well, so the current solution breaks all of file-rc, sysv-rc, and insserv;
is unnecessary for insserv (because the sequence numbers don't need to be
reset for a dependency-based init system); and there's another way to handle
sysv-rc.

I really don't see how this is a superior solution.