Re: Please unblock avahi 0.6.23-2

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:10:36AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> > Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> >> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:

> >> The diff for the debian related changes is in debian.diff.gz

> > +    # update init script symlinks for new runlevels and priorities for upgrades
> > +    # from older versions
> > +    if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt-nl 0.6.22-4; then
> > +      echo "Reinstalling init script for new runlevels and priorities ..." >&2
> > +      # remove old init script symlinks; dh_installinit adds the proper
> > +      # update-rc.d snippet later on
> > +      update-rc.d -f avahi-daemon remove >/dev/null
> > +    fi

> > Dude. That's going to remove all my carefully renamed
> > /etc/rc[2345].d/K??avahi-daemon links, just to replace them with new
> > start links. Not nice.

> There is no better way to do that unfortunately. update-rc.d has no API
> to update and preserve existing configuration.
> Please keep in mind, that we have to support other systems like file-rc.

> The above approach is recommend by the sysvinit maintainer and commonly
> used.

I guess that would be the same sysvinit maintainer who wants people to
migrate off of sysv-rc to a dependency-based init system...

Commonly used or not (I've had to change init script sequences before, and
I've certainly never done it this way!), it does stomp on local changes to
the runlevel settings.  I don't see why the needs of a handful of file-rc
users should outweigh the needs of everyone using the *standard* way to
disable services.