Re: Please allow sphinx 0.4.2-1 into testing

Hello Luk & Release Team!

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 16:52, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:
> Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> Currently the archive has 0.98.1 mpl version, and we're working
>> closely with upstream to let a new upstream release into Debian. The
>> real goal for the new release is bugfixing and mainly documentation.
>>
>> We missed 0.98.2 version because of some glitches in doc generation,
>> and we have reached yesterday the consensus on releasing 0.98.3 (they
>> wait for my confirmation the debian package is working fine).
>>
>> I got the package almost ready in svn, and the great improvement is we
>> are now able to generate matplotlib documentation at build time, and
>> ship it in -doc package along with the binary one. It's a lot of doc,
>> and given the possibility to users to have it on their system is
>> really a plus (given the lots of API mpl has), and I think lenny users
>> deserve this.
>>
>> In order to build such doc we need Sphinx 0.4.2 (due to changes in
>> last version of sphinx, used in mpl docbase), and it's really
>> impossible to backport the changes from 0.98.3 to 0.98.1 (the one in
>> the archive).
>>
>> I'd like to know if I'm allowed to upload 0.98.3 version in the
>> archive (when the sphinx situation will be fixed). Please note that
>> upstreams are really responsive and they have waited for Debian to be
>> comfortable with a new release before actually announce it in the last
>> months.
>
> Uploading to unstable doesn't really harm and it gives us a better idea
> about how invasive the changes are you are talking about...

As suggested, matplotlib 0.98.3 has just been uploaded in unstable
(thanks to Piotr!).

I'd just like to recap what this release represent: since about 1
month and a half, I've worked closely with upstream to be able to
build and ship mpl documentation along with binary package for Debian
(you can check mailing list threads[1][2][3][4][5] we exchanged with
upstream) and we are now finally able to archive this great goal (16M
of docs lets you understand how wide and complex this package can be,
so having doc easily available is really a plus).

As usually for upstream, a point-release (0.98.X) is a bug-fixing
release, trying to reduce enhancements concentrating to close
regressions and bugs, and the work hard to do it, always keeping in
mind Debian as a main objective; the main code change could be
summarized in:

 * fixed memory licking (as reported by upstream author in #492735)

but not to exclude the  many bugfixes for visualization, corner-cases
and error-handling.

We were unable to upload 0.98.2 version in Debian, because there was
some problems with the doc generation, so we decided with upstream to
skip that version and concentrate on 0.98.3.

Sadly, due to changes in Sphinx 0.42.2 adopted in matplotlib, the
0.98.3 mpl version was incompatible with sphinx 0.41.1 APIs, so
additional delay (we needed that version in unstable and so on), so we
missed the freeze begin.

I'm attaching the debdiff from 0.98.1 to 0.98.3, generated with the command

$ debdiff matplotlib_0.98.1-1.dsc matplotlib_0.98.3-1.dsc | filterdiff
-x '*/doc/*' -x '*example*' -x '*font*' > matplotlib_0.98.3-1.debdiff

I know, it's big, but there are a lot of changes in docstring & so
(doc is good :) ).

I made a first run of test on direct Depends from python-matplotlib,
gastables model-builder nulog, taking the latest source from unstable,
recompiling and testing with 0.98.3 and all 3 works fine, and Piotr
tested pondus and ipython, both work fine too.

After this long preparation, I'd like to kindly request to please
unblock this new version :D As a cautelative solution, we can think
about a longer transition time (15days?) just to avoid any hidden
regressions.

Thanks in advance for your attention,
Sandro

[1] http://sourceforge.net/search/index.php?words=subject%3A(%2B%22matplotlib+0.98.3+release+candidate%2C+please+test%22)+AND+ml_name%3A(matplotlib-devel+matplotlib-users)&sort=posted_date&sortdir=desc&offset=0&group_id=80706&type_of_search=mlists&pmode=0
[2] http://sourceforge.net/search/index.php?words=subject%3A(%2B%22preparing+for+0.98.3+and+0.91.5%22)+AND+ml_name%3A(matplotlib-devel)&sort=posted_date&sortdir=desc&offset=0&group_id=80706&type_of_search=mlists&pmode=0
[3] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=8b2d7b4d0807020446h567a703x86e38c2d8ed6ef3e%40mail.gmail.com
[4] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20080701014046.GA11155%40chiark.greenend.org.uk
[5] http://sourceforge.net/search/index.php?group_id=80706&form_submit=Search&search_subject=1&type_of_search=mlists&all_words=&exact_phrase=reverting+changes+to+contour.py&some_word=&without_words=&ml_name[]=matplotlib-devel&ml_name[]=matplotlib-users&posted_date_start=&posted_date_end=