[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Please allow sphinx 0.4.2-1 into testing

Hi Marc,

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 02:53, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@ftwca.de> wrote:
> Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag@dottedmag.net> writes:
>> Please allow sphinx 0.4.2-1 to move into testing, as it fixes RC bug
>> (#492732) which prevents building documentation for python-matplotlib.
>> 0.4.2 is a minor upstream release made especially for fixing this
>> bug. The only other packaging change is getting rid of bundled jQuery in
>> binary package.
> But there are plenty of upstream changes. Please extract the patch
> needed to fix #492732 and upload a fixed version based on 0.4.1-2
> (currently in lenny) to testing-proposed-updates. This new upstream
> release won't be unblocked.

I'd like to discuss, based on the above comment, what I should do
about matplotlib.

Currently the archive has 0.98.1 mpl version, and we're working
closely with upstream to let a new upstream release into Debian. The
real goal for the new release is bugfixing and mainly documentation.

We missed 0.98.2 version because of some glitches in doc generation,
and we have reached yesterday the consensus on releasing 0.98.3 (they
wait for my confirmation the debian package is working fine).

I got the package almost ready in svn, and the great improvement is we
are now able to generate matplotlib documentation at build time, and
ship it in -doc package along with the binary one. It's a lot of doc,
and given the possibility to users to have it on their system is
really a plus (given the lots of API mpl has), and I think lenny users
deserve this.

In order to build such doc we need Sphinx 0.4.2 (due to changes in
last version of sphinx, used in mpl docbase), and it's really
impossible to backport the changes from 0.98.3 to 0.98.1 (the one in
the archive).

I'd like to know if I'm allowed to upload 0.98.3 version in the
archive (when the sphinx situation will be fixed). Please note that
upstreams are really responsive and they have waited for Debian to be
comfortable with a new release before actually announce it in the last

Thanks for your attention,

Sandro Tosi (aka morph, Morpheus, matrixhasu)
My website: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/
Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi

Reply to: