heimdal

Hello,

Heimdal in unstable (1.2.dfsg.1-2) needs to get pushed through to testing/lenny.

The testing version 1.1-3:

   * contains non-free RFC documents (no bug report opened).
   * supposedly solved version symbols (#453241
     <http://bugs.debian.org/453241>) on AMD64, unfortunately it
     appears the solution provided by upstream was broken and broke
     versioned symbols all architectures (#492427)
     <http://bugs.debian.org/492427>.

Version 1.2.dfsg.1-1 which was in unstable until recently:

   * Fixes the non-free RFC documents issue.
   * Was in unstable for over a month with no problems detected except
     #492427 <http://bugs.debian.org/492427>.
   * Not sure why it didn't get into testing, although I am somewhat
     curious now. The release critical bug wasn't filled until rather
     late (about the same time as the freeze).

Version 1.2.dfsg.1-2 now in unstable:

   * It fixes (at least it looks fixed to me) the release critical
     issue with versioned library symbols not working (#492427)
     <http://bugs.debian.org/492427> and also adds debconf translations
     (#491767). <http://bugs.debian.org/491767>
   * I solved this by overriding the configure check to always return
     true, because I believe all Debian platforms support versioned
     symbols.
   * It would be good if I could get somebody to independently verify
     that the versioned  library symbols really are working (it looks
     good to me).
   * Unfortunately every package that is linked against the buggy
     Heimdal libraries must also be rebuilt, I am not sure how to
     arrange this though.

So yes, this is a new upstream version compared with testing, however it was available for a long time in unstable, and I think it is the safest way of having a releasable package in testing/lenny.

Thanks

Brian May

     heimdal <http://packages.debian.org/src:heimdal> (1.2.dfsg.1-2)
     unstable; urgency=low