Re: Please allow sphinx 0.4.2-1 into testing

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt writes:
> Piotr "=?utf-8?Q?O=C5=BCarowski?=" <piotr@debian.org> writes:
> > I agree with Mikhail that all changes from 0.4.2 should appear in Lenny.
> > I'm attaching complete debdiff and a debdiff without documentation/tests
> > changes - the second one is not really that big and changes looks sane
> > to me.
>
> God, how hard is it to understand what "No new upstream release" means?
> Rejected.

I didn't look at these specific changes, but the "No new upstream
release" seems to be a bit too dogmatic in some cases. Just freezing
at some point of time without giving packages depending on just
uploaded packages to catch up doesn't serve the usability as well. As
an example (where all packages already are in testing) would be the
recent subversion upload (1.5), followed by depending upstreams
offering subversion 1.5 compatibility. pysvn was released and uploaded
in time before the freeze, but even for a pysvn release after the
freeze I would have asked for an exception. We already have a
distinction for freezing essential toolchain, toolchain, and
other. Maybe we have to differentiate the "other" packages.  Again, I
didn't look at the sphinx changes, but it appears that the update is
needed to properly build the documentation. sphinx is only needed to
build docs; would it be possible to reconsider the decision if the
package maintainer shows that all packages build-depending on sphinx
still build with the new version?

  Matthias