Re: Userland compatibility fixes for 2.6.26

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:38:56PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:09:44AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:20:12PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > Following the discussion some weeks ago I have a patch to fix most of
> > > the problematic userspace header changes in 2.6.26.
> > I believe the following other incompatible changes should be addressed:

> >  asm-arm/unistd.h - changed a syscall define from __NR_timerfd to
> >     __NR_timerfd_create, unknown impact on existing applications

> If we define it, we will get broken binaries instead of a failed build.
> The syscall was never implemented and got reassiged to timerfd_create.

Ok, that clarifies.  No need for a change here then.

> >  linux/msdos_fs.h - dropped the #define for FAT_VALID_MEDIA

> Well.

> > > However I decided to ignore the following changes:
> > > - sparc: Removed a.out definitions, SunOS/Solaris emulation only
> > > - sparc: Removed SunOS/Solaris interface definitions
> > I'm somewhat skeptical about dropping these; there are lots of things that
> > like to include the kernel ELF headers,

> This are a.out, not ELF headers. And they don't include anything else.

Yes, I understand that.  I would expect software that's doing a.out to be
*more* likely, not less likely, to abuse misuse kernel headers...

> >                                                                           so
> > it's possible that something is trying to include a.out on sparc or use
> > other compat interfaces.

> This are SunOS interfaces, so the users are completely sparc specific. I
> did a check over all possible packages and found nothing. It makes not
> much sense anyway to use them, most likely the kernel interface is
> already broken.

That's fine.  I'm not arguing that either of these things should be changed
before upload; but if there did turn out to be something that broke because
of these changes, we should revert the changes for lenny.