Re: Preparation of the next stable Debian GNU/Linux update

Frans Pop wrote:
> Well done folks. You've again managed to break at least part of the
> functionality of Debian Installer and, more importantly, left users with
> a potentially unbootable system after installation.

<fjp> You can now partition using loop-aes encryption, but the modules are not
      available for the installed system.
<fjp> So you cannot access any loop-aes encrypted partitions.
<fjp> Or (hopefully) the installation will fail during finish-install.

Well, it would seem we have the first peice of errata for the end of
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/debian-installer/etchnhalf

How many months do we plan to let users stumble over this before r5?

> This is the third time since Etch where a stable release involving
> something I have spent a serious amount of my time on is mishandled by
> the release team.
> I've had it with this mentality where apparently it is OK to just skip
> proper and timely preparation of releases, where it is OK to do things at
> the very last possible moment, break promises made to colleague DDs and
> break their work without any prior communication at all.

We're very good at releasing every day / week (hello, britney, debian-cd). We
*suck* at releasing every X years where every single thing is ad-hoc. As long
as stable release frequency is random and release preparations are ad-hoc, we
will continue to have such problems.

> As you obviously don't appreciate the work done by others to get things to
> the point that a release is possible, I will not participate in ANYTHING
> that has to do with releasing Lenny anymore, which means I'm dropping per
> now a lot of my D-I work, debian-cd work, documentation work and website
> work and any testing work I normally do.

It might help your motivation slightly to think of stable as a sub-par and
largely irrelevant derived distribution bolted onto the side of the real
Debian.

--
see shy jo, who at least can stop feeling bad about his original slink-and-half
            release. Apparently being an official Debian release would not have