Re: Mechanism in place to prevent some packages from being removed from testing

Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   Note that less than a week after having been removed, mplayer and lilo
> have been fixed. It's fun to see how easy it is to fix "unsolvable" bugs
> with the proper incentive.

I'm really glad that mplayer is finally fixed. That was apparently
indeed a good example of a case where a little motivation went a long
way.

The lilo fix is only a workaround. Systems can still get a large
initramfs, and have lilo abort, and end up failing to boot.

Another case is NTP, which was kicked out of testing for a
licensing bug, causing much grief to be reported on debian-user.

I think that the release team is being far too cavalier about the
collatoral damage their policies are causing. And, apparently, much too
enamoured of slavish adherence to policies and procedures.

When I was a minor member of the release team, I always tried to think
through the consequneces of my decisions. And I have always been proud
of the care, attention to detail, and followthrough that the release
managers have brought to their work. Something seems to have changed..

--
see shy jo