Re: Mechanism in place to prevent some packages from being removed from testing

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 01:05:26PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:51:52PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
>
> <details of tasksel-related checking>
>
> Thanks for this, much appreciated. I've been pondering too on this
> issue, wondering if we could/should give more warning to (all) qDDs
> about upcoming removals. Would it be useful / possible to have a
> weekly summary mailed to debian-devel listing packages that are marked
> for possible removal, giving (maybe) 2 weeks notice? That way
> maintainers and DDs get more warning about removals of packages that
> they care about, and a countdown. It *might* push maintainers a little
> more to get fixes uploaded. There's a little naming-and-shaming here,
> which could make the difference.

  Well, the thing is, we have quite a clear policy, which is to remove
(not in period of a freeze of course) packages that are:
  * leaf packages ;
  * RC buggy ;
  * for more than 20 days ;
  * with absolutely no movement from the maintainer.
With that anyone interested in providing such a list can do it.

  If we also add a 15 days warning, then the maintainer should get a
warning at day 5, which is overkill. And packages where the maintainer
didn't manage to answer to an RC bug report in 20 days is a package
where it's really unlikely to see this evolve with what you ask, because
they won't read it more. Lucas already sends montly mails about RC bugs.
I don't think it change things for a minute.

  Like I said numerous time when we discussed this issue, I prefer to be
there and ready to help people that fixed a package make it enter back
into testing if the migration isn't trivial, with all the hints that are
needed.

  Note that less than a week after having been removed, mplayer and lilo
have been fixed. It's fun to see how easy it is to fix "unsolvable" bugs
with the proper incentive.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit