Re: Upcoming librrd transition?

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:36:21PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Sebastian Harl [Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:12:08 +0200]:
> > The latest version of rrdtool (which has been released last Thursday)
> > includes a SONAME version bump because of some rather small but
> > incompatible changes to the API
>
>   (a) why the SONAME bump if only the API has changed? was the ABI
>       changed too? (maybe it was, but I need to be extra-cautious here)

Yes, the ABI was changed too.

Is it possible to (backward-)incompatibly change the API while not
changing the ABI? I can't think of an example right now.

>   (b) can you *please* stop embedding the SONAME in the name of the -dev
>       package? A good time to do it would be this transition, if it
>       finally happens.

That has already been done last night... ;-) Thanks for pointing it out
though.

> > Is that transition fine before Lenny?
>
> Speaking for me, depends on when we get able to finish the current
> ongoing mess. If it takes too long, I'm afraid we'll have to pass. We'll
> give you a definitive answer in a few days.

Okay. Then the package will be uploaded to experimental for now and I
will try to take appropriate steps to make this transition as smooth as
possible (i.e. make build-rdeps maintainers aware of it, provide
patches, etc.).

Cheers,
Sebastian