Re: Please hint libmtp, amarok and gnomad2 into testing

* Rafael Laboissiere [Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:40:01 +0200]:

> (Anyway, I cannot see the hint in
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/hints/luk, but I am maybe looking at
> the wrong place).

Yeah, finally it ended up in my hints file, instead of Luk's.

> I now realize that a new gnomad2 built against libmtp6 was never uploaded to
> unstable by the maintainer.  I do see bin-NMUed packages in the pool (for
> i386 and amd64),

Not only for i386 and amd64:

% rmadison -s unstable gnomad2
   gnomad2 |   2.8.12-2  | unstable | source
   gnomad2 | 2.8.12-2+b1 | unstable | alpha, amd64, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc

> I have two questions.  First, to the release team: is it necessary that the
> binary packages for gnomad2 be updated for all architectures in order to the
> transition take place?

It is *necessary* that, for all architectures on which gnomad2 depends
on libmtp5 in testing, there is a binary in unstable (be it a binNMU or
not) which depends on libmtp6 instead.

> Second question, to the gnomad2 maintainer: Manuel, will you mind if I
> NMU gnomad2 built against libmtp6?

There is no need for a NMU, because (as seen above) there's no
architecture left with gnomad depending on libmtp5 in unstable.

As for what's missing, in other words, why hasn't the transition
happened already, Philippe was right: amarok is missing a mipsel build.
Which hasn't happened because of an unfortunate series of unsuccessful
tries, due to build-dependencies being uninstallable every time the
package was tried to build.

If what worries you is uploading a new libmtp6 with some other changes,
feel free to do it now, since it's going to take a bit until amarok can
be rebuilt on mipsel.

HTH,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

«A lo que iba. El amor es como el embutido: hay lomo embuchado y hay
mortadela.»
                -- Carlos Ruiz Zafón, “La sombra del viento”