Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 06:37:55PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > What do the dependency-based init system replacements that have been
> > proposed to date do in order to handle init scripts that don't have LSB
> > headers?  Is there some sort of backwards-compatibility interface so that
> > those init scripts will at least be run?

> Based on a conversation I had with Pere, insserv assumes such
> scripts have *no* dependencies, and runs them first. :-(

Well, that seems... suboptimal. :)  And something of a barrier to adoption.

What would be a better heuristic?  Even running these scripts last instead
of first would seem better.  Would it make sense to keep track of the
sysvinit number for each script, and for each script without dependency
information, treat /all/ lower-numbered scripts as dependencies?