Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 05:02:50PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> The release team requested email about proposed release goals for
> Lenny.  Here is one.  I propose to switch to a dependency based SysV
> boot system for Lenny, using the LSB headers in the init.d scripts to
> decide the boot sequence.  It is currently possible to convert
> existing installations to do this.  There are problems with bugs in
> the headers and missing headers, but base and desktop installs are
> working fairly well at the moment.  There are bugs in the halt/reboot
> sequence, but not very serious ones.  I hope to have this fixed soon.

What do the dependency-based init system replacements that have been
proposed to date do in order to handle init scripts that don't have LSB
headers?  Is there some sort of backwards-compatibility interface so that
those init scripts will at least be run?