Re: [SRM] kernel updates for oldstable

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 03:35:47PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 02:34:19PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > It seems to me that Frans may have been referring to whether it's
> > > relevant to add other stuff into sarge's *debian-installer*.
> >
> > No, I wasn't, or at least not primarily. As we have to update the
> > installer anyway because of the kernel ABI change in the security update,
> > including these changes as well is trivial and I doubt they will have any
> > real impact on the installer.
> >
> > My concern is more general. Sarge is oldstable, which means really
> > low-level maintenance, normally limited to security updates. Introducing
> > functional changes in the kernel at this point which could potentially
> > lead to regressions for some users just seems like something we should be
> > very careful about.
>
> All right, then the matter can be reduced to simply continuing to follow
> the good old 'stable' update policy for 'oldstable', too. If those bug fixes
> were critical enough to be added to sarge when it was stable, add them;
> if they weren't (and it does seem likely that they weren't if they were
> sat on for so long), reject them.

I do believe these issues were critical enough to have been added when
sarge was stable - in fact, I'd prepared source for stable in the past
with a subset of these fixes but never uploaded anything because I
never got an explicit approval from the rest of the SRM team. In
retrospect, I should've simply uploaded.

Since there have been no objections so far, I'll proceed with
uploading these fixes to oldstable where they can be later rejected if
objections arise.

--
dann frazier