Re: [SRM] kernel updates for oldstable

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 06:30:04PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 26 May 2007 18:20, dann frazier wrote:
> > Since we're spinning d-i anyway, I thought I'd see if we could get
> > some other non-security changes in there anyway. We've had some stuff
> > queued for way too long (since before sarge released even).
>
> The main question that comes to mind regarding this is if it is still
> really relevant to do these updates now that Sarge is oldstable. After
> all, anybody running Sarge and affected by these issues will have long
> since worked around them in some way or other.

Though I agree with you for the majority of cases, I imagine there are
still a significant number of people who have not yet upgraded to etch
and would benefit from these updates.

> Maybe it would be better to just let known issues remain known issues at
> this stage?

That is a very valid question.

> Note that I don't have any real objection either, just this general
> reservation. Especially given the general trueism that any change brings
> the risk of other regressions.

I've nothing really vested in these changes other than they've been
stuck in limbo for way too long and it'd be nice to put them to
bed. Whether we do that via an update or by formally agreeing to let
them die, I don't really care.

> Of course, it is a real pity that we (as a distro) have not been able to
> address these issues earlier than this.

That's true, and I hope to remedy this in the future - the biggest
problem has probably been my timidity - I've been asking permission to
do uploads and interpreting silence as a "no". I'm hoping to be more
aggressive in the future.

As for this upload, I think I'll defer to other members of the SRM
team. Andreas, Martin, Julien, Luk: what do you think? I'll plan to
proceed with the upload if noone voices an objection before tomorrow,
but even then it shouldn't be a big deal to reject them if objections
surface afterwards.

--
dann frazier