Re: [SRM] kernel updates for oldstable

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 02:34:19PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > It seems to me that Frans may have been referring to whether it's
> > relevant to add other stuff into sarge's *debian-installer*.
>
> No, I wasn't, or at least not primarily. As we have to update the
> installer anyway because of the kernel ABI change in the security update,
> including these changes as well is trivial and I doubt they will have any
> real impact on the installer.
>
> My concern is more general. Sarge is oldstable, which means really
> low-level maintenance, normally limited to security updates. Introducing
> functional changes in the kernel at this point which could potentially
> lead to regressions for some users just seems like something we should be
> very careful about.

All right, then the matter can be reduced to simply continuing to follow
the good old 'stable' update policy for 'oldstable', too. If those bug fixes
were critical enough to be added to sarge when it was stable, add them;
if they weren't (and it does seem likely that they weren't if they were
sat on for so long), reject them.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.