Re: [RFC, LONG] Proposal: DAK - automated migration of udebs

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:08:47AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Another option would be to make two testing distributions with
> > independent migration of the packages -- one for d-i and another for
> > the rest of Debian.  This way we have the benefits of the undisturbed
> > migration of the debs to testing while in the same time all packages
> > have sources.
>
> Source packages need to be in sync for debs vs. udebs at the time of
> release, and split migration doesn't ensure that this is possible.

Having two independent testing distributions means the stable releases
of d-i do not have to be in sync with the stable releases of Debian.
When the time for next stable Debian comes, it will use the last stable
version of d-i (and ofcourse the versions of the packages in d-i need
not to be in sync with the versions in Debian).

I think it will be much easier to release Debian if a working stable
version of d-i is always available and the release managers do not have
to release d-i simultaneously with Debian.  For the people who work on
d-i this approach will also be simpler.

Anton Zinoviev