Re: binNMU for libauthen-sasl-cyrus-perl

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 09:55:41AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > Ok.  What's the consequence of this for the package?  I.e., is this just
> > that there's a dep on libsasl2 instead of on libsasl2-2, or are there
> > differences in the functionality of libauthen-sasl-cyrus-perl because of
> > having built for an old version?  (If the latter, there may be other
> > packages in need of a rebuild; if the former, I'm not sure if it's even
> > worth a rebuild at all just for this?)

> There should be no consequences other than the ability to install the
> package without pulling in another version of Cyrus SASL onto the system
> that we probably want to drop from the archive in the lenny timeframe.
> Basically, I was about to do a maintainer upload to clear the oldlibs
> dependency and realized that the only real change was a simple rebuild
> which could be done via binNMU.

Well, the "another version" is just a dummy package at this point anyway...
But yeah, not carrying an unnecessary dummy package into the next stable
release is a good enough reason, so binNMUs scheduled for 12 packages in
all.  cyrus-sasl2-mit would still need to be updated, though, and has a
hard-coded dep.