Pushing multi-arch media (Re: blockers for 64-bit adoption)

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 10:27:10PM +0200, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> As for missinformation, I'm not sure what the general tendency would be, but
> could it be that a lot of our users are unaware of 64-bit capability in
> their cpu?  I haven't been following lately on how skilled/experienced our
> average user is nowadays (so maybe I'm just saying something stupid here).

I think we should push the multi-arch media. Particularly, the
x86/amd64/powerpc one can boot something like 99% of all the hardware
debian will ever run on, without the user having to care about what arch
his PC or Mac is, since the media detects the most appropriate one.

Vendors should be encouraged to provide them, users should be directed
to them on www.debian.org/CD/, etc.

Mike