64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 02:54:12PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

>  * We want to restrict the release cycle for Lenny to less than 2 years,
>    we want to discuss experiences of Etch first though to get a more
>    accurate time planning.

2 years means april 2009, which is past the 64-bit transition deadline:

  http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

I believe (and if you read the document above, you'll probably believe too)
that it is of the utmost importance that lenny is released _before_ the
transition deadline in late 2008.

This is when a new 64-bit OS of choice will forcibly be stablished.  Microsoft
is not ready now, and they'll be barely ready by then.  If we can beat them on
64-bit while they keep their dominance on 32-bit PCs, they'll face the same
destiny that doomed Digital Research when the 8-bit market collapsed:

  http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html#ftn.id286952

If a date that fits in this schedule is chosen, I would be very motivated to
participate in the release process and offer my help (as soon as I complete
my personal lists of things I'd like to see in lenny).

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.