blockers for 64-bit adoption (Re: 64-bit transition deadline)

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 09:57:30PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> I agree that the distribution itself is well supported [1].  For some reason,
> though, its popularity doesn't reflect much wider spread availability of
> 64-bit capable hardware, but that's a separate discussion.

which IMHO deserves a separate thread.  I'm not sure of the severity of this
problem (maybe we could check via popcon how many of our i386 users have 64-bit
capable hardware?), neither of its causes.  I suspect the key factors are
dependance on non-free browser plugins and missinformation.

Non-free browser plugins will most surely be sorted out this year, when Sun
releases GPL java, and either swfdec/gnash become ready for mainstream use or
Adobe gives up and releases their Flash as free software (I heard rumours
saying this will happen in late 2007).

As for missinformation, I'm not sure what the general tendency would be, but
could it be that a lot of our users are unaware of 64-bit capability in
their cpu?  I haven't been following lately on how skilled/experienced our
average user is nowadays (so maybe I'm just saying something stupid here).

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.