Re: Please consider multisync0.90_0.91.0-3 for etch

Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the state of phone/pda-syncing software is a bit miserable in Etch right
> now.
>
> The old multisync source package is still available, but it is
> unmaintained upstream, and the syncml and palm plugins had to be removed
> due to RC bugs and nobody porting them to the new libpisock.
>
> Opensync-0.19 plus its plugings are in Etch, but already several
> upstream version old and not really that mature.
>
> Even worse, the GTK GUI in multisync0.90 is not really adequate for
> release - e.g., it cannot really configure plugins in the GUI (right
> now, I can't get it to configure them at all - earlier, it would spawn
> an EDITOR session on the terminal you called it from with the XML for
> the user to edit).
>
> I have uploaded another version of the GUI (mostly a rewrite though, I'm
> afraid) to unstable two months ago (but already during the freeze) and
> it hasn't attracted any new bugs so far.
>
> As we were in a freeze already, I thought it was too late for it to go
> into testing.  However, some days ago I talked to upstream again and
> they were shocked we shipped the current version in testing and heavily
> discouraged that.
>
> I talked to my comaintainer Robert Collins two days ago and we agreed
> that the old version really isn't worth a release and decided trying to
> get the new version into Etch and Feisty.
>
> So, what do you think?  Another alternative to talk about would be to
> remove Opensync entirely from testing, but this would leave people with
> the old multisync as pretty much the only (and inferior) alternative,
> IMHO.

Sorry, we are only considering packages with RC bug fixes anymore. So it will
probably be a status quo: not unblocking nor removing multisync/Opensync.

Cheers

Luk

--
Luk Claes - http://people.debian.org/~luk - GPG key 1024D/9B7C328D
Fingerprint:   D5AF 25FB 316B 53BB 08E7   F999 E544 DE07 9B7C 328D