Re: Please unblock kqemu, second try

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Well it looks right to me since it would allow the user to install the
> > module  without the linux-image on a domU, for example. Am I missing
> > something?
>
> Er, and how is that, when linux-image-* is the only package in the archive
> providing linux-modules-*?

There's also a real "linux-modules-*" for the Xen flavours of the kernel:
linux-modules-2.6.18-3-xen-686 - Linux 2.6.18 modules on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4
linux-modules-2.6.18-3-xen-k7 - Linux 2.6.18 modules on AMD K7
linux-modules-2.6.18-3-xen-vserver-686 - Linux 2.6.18 modules on PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/P4

> I simply have no idea what the linux-modules-* virtual package is supposed
> to mean.

In a Xen virtual host (domU as named by Otavio), there's no kernel image because the
kernel is provided and started by the real machine (dom0). However if the
virtual host wants to load kernel modules, he needs to have them available and
thus will install linux-modules-* instead of the real kernel package.

On non-Xen flavors of the kernel, it's the linux-image package which
provides the modules directly.

Raphaël Hertzog