Re: removal of preview-latex breaks preview in xemacs21

Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:

> CCing Frank Küster and the tex team.

Cc'ing Davide in addition, he's the auctex maintainer.

> * Hendrik Naumann <hn75@gmx.de> [2007-01-09 18:50]:
>> Hi
>>
>> The removal of this package breaks the preview feature in xemacs21,
>> which brings its own autex
>> (/usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/lisp/auctex in
>> xemacs21-basesupport) but not including preview-latex.
>> Until preview-latex is not included into the xemacs auctex the package
>> should stay.
>>
>> For me the initial report from Bill Allombert in bug 392863 is not
>> reproducible.
>>
>> I installed preview-latex from stable (into my testing system) which
>> works fine for me. So please reconsider including the preview-latex
>> package from sarge in etch.

Using AUCTeX with XEmacs is a mess, Debian or not.  It's a nice
coincidence that the preview-latex package in sarge and the auctex
delivered with XEmacs in testing are approximately of the same age and
work together.  But it's only a coincidence.

I fear nobody wants to maintain a "preview-latex-obsolete" Debian
package for XEmacs users, in particular since XEmacs has its own
packaging system which allows to get an updated AUCTeX (with
preview-latex) AFAIK.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster