Re: [binNMU] facile

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 04:11:14PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 08:47:19PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Sure, there's room for improvement here.  One of the optimizations that's
> > > been discussed in the past would be to auto-dep-wait packages on the newest
> > > version of all build-dependencies to enforce build ordering, but I don't
> > > think we have any kind of hard numbers on new problems this might introduce
> > > (unnecessary transition delays, etc).
>
> > It seems to me that this is the kind of problems, that we faced with the
> > ocaml packages since years. On the pure dependency, this was achieved
> > with the abi provides, but for the ocaml package alone.
>
> > Maybe something similar could be achieved for the other packages,
> > generated in a semi-automated way, or maybe an abi-field or something
> > should be added.
>
> > Ralf, you are involved with the EDOS folk, which if i remember well,
> > this kind of stuff has been one of the topics they where involved with.
>
> I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve here.  The problem at hand
> is "what other packages need to be rebuilt first because they also depend on
> the same {library/runtime} package as the present package."  That should be
> solvable without adding any new fields at all.

Sylvain replied to this, in better words that i could currently do, it
has been a long time that i was involved in this, and my debian time has
been (and continues sadly to be) overshadowed by political and
witch-hunt stuff.

Think of all what could have been achieved in debian if it was a bit
more open, and DDs didn't lose so much time in stupid, sterile and
destructive flamewars :/

Friendly,

Sven Luther