Re: boost migration (maybe too long message)

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 10:17:13AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 09:25:20AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 01:01:39AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > > Second issue is about the python version used to build Boost.Python,
> > > which I chose to be 2.5, trying to anticipate transition of default
> > > python to 2.5. This transition is planned but not yet started, so I
> > > was pretty optimist and too ahead respect the times.
> > >
> > > This does not help the integration of Boost based Python extensions
> > > with other python packages but the only reported problem is with tagpy
> > > (RC bug #426871) and its rdepend sonata. IMHO, these could go with
> > > Python 2.5 and be happy with current Boost.Python. Again, I do not
> > > think Boost should stay in unstable because of this.
> >
> >   Why don't you build it for every python in Debian as you should ? I
> > mean the python policy wants you to support at least default python (2.4
> > atm) and if possible every python out there. Is that _this_ difficult to
> > build 2.4 _and_ 2.5 extensions ?
>
> i should encode the python version in the soname, changing it in a
> debian-specific way.

  I absolutely don't get it. Are you sure it is a python _extension_ ?
Extensions live in a versionned directory and are co-installable.

  It looks like this is rather some kind of shared library that helps
generating python bindings for boost C++ "things". In which case the
question is: does your library compiled against python2.5 supports
generating python2.4 modules or not ?

  if the answer is no, then you're wrong, you should _always_ build
against the default python in debian, else the life of people using
boost-generated extensions will be a nightmare (as they won't be able to
create extensions for the default python themselves).

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit