Re: boost migration (maybe too long message)

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 09:25:20AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 01:01:39AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > Second issue is about the python version used to build Boost.Python,
> > which I chose to be 2.5, trying to anticipate transition of default
> > python to 2.5. This transition is planned but not yet started, so I
> > was pretty optimist and too ahead respect the times.
> >
> > This does not help the integration of Boost based Python extensions
> > with other python packages but the only reported problem is with tagpy
> > (RC bug #426871) and its rdepend sonata. IMHO, these could go with
> > Python 2.5 and be happy with current Boost.Python. Again, I do not
> > think Boost should stay in unstable because of this.
>
>   Why don't you build it for every python in Debian as you should ? I
> mean the python policy wants you to support at least default python (2.4
> atm) and if possible every python out there. Is that _this_ difficult to
> build 2.4 _and_ 2.5 extensions ?

i should encode the python version in the soname, changing it in a
debian-specific way.

> > I do not really care if Boost 1.34.0 enters testing right now, indeed
> > I have 1.34.1 sitting in experimental which is built with gcc 4.2 and
> > python 2.5. As soon as transition to gcc 4.2 starts, I will upload it to
> > unstable. I only think it might be the case of letting some packages
> > enter testing now, while the situation is still not satisfying but
> > neither that bad.
>
>   You can build your package with gcc 4.2 in unstable, it's what we did
> with the last glibc that is entering unstable right now, it's built ith
> gcc 4.2 on every arch it works on, and 4.1 on the few archs where gcc
> 4.2 does not work properly yet. Of course, if you do that you need to
> specifically build-depend on gcc-4.2 on those archs.

really? then i will not wait for gcc 4.2 to become default :)

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://www.dandreoli.com/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50