Re: boost migration (maybe too long message)

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 01:01:39AM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> Second issue is about the python version used to build Boost.Python,
> which I chose to be 2.5, trying to anticipate transition of default
> python to 2.5. This transition is planned but not yet started, so I
> was pretty optimist and too ahead respect the times.
>
> This does not help the integration of Boost based Python extensions
> with other python packages but the only reported problem is with tagpy
> (RC bug #426871) and its rdepend sonata. IMHO, these could go with
> Python 2.5 and be happy with current Boost.Python. Again, I do not
> think Boost should stay in unstable because of this.

  Why don't you build it for every python in Debian as you should ? I
mean the python policy wants you to support at least default python (2.4
atm) and if possible every python out there. Is that _this_ difficult to
build 2.4 _and_ 2.5 extensions ?

> I do not really care if Boost 1.34.0 enters testing right now, indeed
> I have 1.34.1 sitting in experimental which is built with gcc 4.2 and
> python 2.5. As soon as transition to gcc 4.2 starts, I will upload it to
> unstable. I only think it might be the case of letting some packages
> enter testing now, while the situation is still not satisfying but
> neither that bad.

  You can build your package with gcc 4.2 in unstable, it's what we did
with the last glibc that is entering unstable right now, it's built ith
gcc 4.2 on every arch it works on, and 4.1 on the few archs where gcc
4.2 does not work properly yet. Of course, if you do that you need to
specifically build-depend on gcc-4.2 on those archs.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit