Re: Proposed release goal : icon caches

Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> writes:
> On 2007-07-13, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> I have no objections, but somewhere in that plan should be "open a
>> Policy bug with the specification of what maintainers should do to
>> update icon caches" so that we can work through the process of getting
>> this specification into Policy.  It's eligible for Policy even if it
>> isn't a release goal, and if it's going to be a release goal, I think
>> it definitely should be in Policy.

>> Adding another subsection to Policy 11.8 for packages providing icons
>> feels like the right placement in the current Policy text.

> Adding a policy to have all desktop environments and window managers depend
> on gtk is not good.

Policy should generally not require that particular mechanisms be used but
instead describe the results expected, although if this involves creating
a file with a format that Debian doesn't define, that does create a tool
dependency.

I should clarify that by saying I have no objections, that doesn't mean
I'm supporting the proposal either, just that I personally have no
opinion.