Re: Proposed release goal: removal of wxwindows2.4

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:53:03AM +0930, Ron wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 02:23:16PM +0200, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > I would like to propose a new release goal: the removal of the outdated
> > wxwindows2.4 library.

> I think proposing this as a release goal is a bit premature, since
> what you are really proposing is to drop a number of stable, mature
> applications.

Worse, it appears that he's proposing to have the release team endorse
highly-intrusive source changes in 0-day NMUs in order to update these
applications to backwards-incompatible versions of wxwindows.

IMHO this is not the sort of thing that should be listed as a release goal;
particularly when a fair number of the bugs at issue require a great deal of
individual attention, or have a "fix" that consists of packaging a new
upstream version.

If you as the maintainer wish to remove wxwindows2.4 for lenny, then it's
reasonable to promote all related bugs directly to RC status, leading to
package removals or NMUs as appropriate; otherwise, I agree that it's
premature to give this matter any special treatment by the release team.

> We can bug the RM's about it if it looks like things really are going
> to cut it fine with the freeze date, until then, they probably have
> nastier transitions to fret over than this one -- and I already still
> owe Steve a beer from the last time an upstream id-ten-T glitch made
> this a bonafide last-minute release blocker

Feel free to settle that debt next year in Argentina. :)