Re: Release Goal Proposal: texlive-transition

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 07:10:09PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Dear Release Team,

> the TeX Task Force proposes the following release goal:

> "No dependencies (Depends/Recommends/Suggests/Build-Depends{-Indep}) on
> tetex-* and texlive-full, only justified dep's on texlive",

> with the usertag-shortname "texlive-transition"

> with the rationale:

> ,----
> | The tetex-* packages are now empty transitional packages.  While
> | tetex-base has no functionality at all, tetex-bin and tetex-extra have
> | dependencies to provide users a smooth upgrade experience, and texlive
> | is intended for a similar friendly install experience.  The specific
> | texlive packages on which they depend might be changed during the
> | lenny release cycle.  Therefore they cannot guarantee any
> | functionality in the technical sense, and should not be used in
> | dependency relations.  Moreover, tetex-* will vanish after lenny.
> |
> | Depending on the texlive metapackage is only justified when a package,
> | e.g. a LaTeX editor or IDE, allows arbitrary input files to be
> | generated, or in similar situations.
> `----

While I think this is a useful case for mass-bugfiling, and that any NMUers
of the affected packages should consider fixing these issues /when an NMU is
already needed/, it's my impression that the alternative dependency is of
only superficial importance.  I don't see any benefit to the quality of
lenny for the release team to sanction this as an official "release goal"
with sanctioned 0-day NMUs.