Re: binNMU request for geany

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 02:01:14AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Damián,
>
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 04:57:29PM -0300, Damián Viano wrote:
> > Could someone schedule this binNMU please?
>
> > geany_0.11-1, Rebuild against gtk 2.10 needed for dnd support, 1, i386
>
> If geany is supposed to be built with dnd support and this requires gtk
> 2.10, why does geany not have a versioned build-dependency on gtk which
> enforces this?

Because actually the dependency is just to use the same gtk runtime
library that geany was built against (i.e building against 2.8, and
running against 2.10 wont work), unfortunately I've built the i386
binary on a outdated pbuilder with gtk 2.8 and gtk 2.10 is now on sid
which makes geany dnd code unhappy.

> Are you sure that i386 is the only architecture affected by this?

Yes, because that was the only binary uploaded by me (*coff* binary-less
uploads *coff*..) ;-P

> How should we recognize if the binNMU is successful?  The only possibly
> relevant symbol that's referenced by the alpha binary and not by the i386
> binary, for example, is 'gtk_notebook_set_tab_reorderable'.  Is this how one
> should know that the package is built correctly?

As stated above, if geany is built against gtk2.10 everything would be
fine, at least for now. I found about this problem recently, because of
this upload, and will evaluate better way of handling this in future
versions of the package (i.e. Depends: libgtk >= (2.10), libgtk < (2.11)
?).

Opinions and/or suggestions, are welcome (just move the thread to
-devel in that case).

--
Damián Viano(Des)              ¯ ¯ - _           _ - ¯ ¯
GPG: 0x6EB95A6F                 Debian ¯-_GNU_-¯ Linux