Re: Pushing multi-arch media (Re: blockers for 64-bit adoption)

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:49:30AM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 10:27:10PM +0200, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> > As for missinformation, I'm not sure what the general tendency would be, but
> > could it be that a lot of our users are unaware of 64-bit capability in
> > their cpu?  I haven't been following lately on how skilled/experienced our
> > average user is nowadays (so maybe I'm just saying something stupid here).
>
> I think we should push the multi-arch media. Particularly, the
> x86/amd64/powerpc one can boot something like 99% of all the hardware
> debian will ever run on, without the user having to care about what arch
> his PC or Mac is, since the media detects the most appropriate one.
>
> Vendors should be encouraged to provide them, users should be directed
> to them on www.debian.org/CD/, etc.

I already made my attempt on this (to the point of being annoying ;-)), without
the expected result:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/03/msg00361.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/04/msg00134.html

I don't know what other approaches can be taken than making it more visible
in the website.

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.